1
Advice that wonders the mind and tickles the tongue
I am sure there is an eloquent definition in Webster’s Dictionary for the word “advice”. In fact, I am almost tempted to look it up and copy it in here for the fun of the comparison, however, I will not. I will however, give you my definition of the word advice from the viewpoint of an engaged soon to be bride.
Advice, n.: words in which many people feel the need to express to one who is about to get married, usually with good intent. It can be sometimes costly, but mostly is free, it can be requested, but mostly is freely given without warrant or provocation.
Synonym: see opinion
Let me say that we are blessed to have the advice of having a successful marriage from WONDERFUL parents who lead by example and close friends and other family. We actually do welcome most pieces of advice simply because we want to succeed at this thing that we keep hearing is “so difficult.” We are newly weds, and well…this is day 1 so we haven’t hit the “speed bumps” I have been warned about.
What I am noting in day 1 of marriage are two pieces of advice I received that not only caused me to stop and think but also delighted my soul to realize.
Wonders the mind
A friend, one who is so dear and precious to me said something to me. She was repeating it actually. Someone, one of those free advice givers, told it to her the day she got married, and she felt it was both worthy and true enough to repeat to me. How precious she did for it caused me to stop and think and then rejoice.
“You will love your husband the least on the day you marry him.”
Of course bewilderment crossed my face as we sat in my car the night before I was to marry Chris. She went on to explain that every day her love for her husband grows and she doesn’t understand how the heart continually expands, but it does, and my love for Chris will just continually grow in our marriage. I will never forget that piece of advice!
Tickles the tongue
One lovely afternoon, pre-pre-engagement, actually it was in October, I was sitting at the Cheesecake factory, indulging in Thai Chicken Pasta (pause for a sigh of yum…) and a friend who is proven to be honest and true and precious made note of something that would occur on our wedding day. She said the day would be special (yes I knew that) and that I needed to make sure to enjoy every minute of it (yes, I knew that too). She then went on to say that the reason I needed to enjoy the upcoming special day was because it would be the only time in my life where everyone I loved would be in the same place. “Only at your wedding do you get to have every person you love in one place. Never again will all your friends and family and out of town people all come together in the same place and at the same time. Enjoy it.”
Wow…was she right. As I reflect on day 1 of marriage, all I can think about is how everyone we love did come together for us. It will be a cherished memory that will never be forgotten.
“This is the greatest day ever. What made it great? Having everyone we love in one place.”
No comments:
Post a Comment